In My Life
June 1st was my last day of school! YAYAYAYAY!! Being on summer break has been amazingly relaxing, though I can’t believe a month of it is gone already! I haven’t really been productive yet. Whoops…
I took another online poetry workshop with the University of Iowa (more on that later) and I started a photography class. I’ve been hanging out with friends and generally relaxing, reveling in the glory of not having any responsibilities.
The one sad part is that my sister left for a five week summer program at the Savannah College of Art and Design. FIVE WEEKS! We’re twins, and we’ve never been apart for more than a night, so being twin-less for over a month is very weird, but we’re surviving. She’s doing amazing stuff and we’re actually managing to keep in touch, despite being on other sides of the country (oh, the wonder of technology).
On This Blog
I had 14 posts this month! After two months of barely posting anything, I think I’m finally getting back into the habit of blogging.
I took part in three Top Ten Tuesdays:
- Top Ten Reasons I Love Contemporary Romance
- Top Ten Favorite 2016 Releases So Far This Year
- Top Ten Books that Ended Their Series Well
If you guys don’t know, I started a bookstagram account (@52lettersinthealphabet) last month. This month I took part in my first bookstagram challenge and it was really fun! I’m really glad that I expanded this blog into that social media space and that I’ve gotten to connect with so many amazing bookstagramers and bloggers!
In Reading and Reviewing
I set myself the goal of reading 20 books this summer and I’m doing pretty well. I read 8 books this month and they were all amazing. If I reviewed them, they will have a rating and you can follow the link to my review.
- Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Raven Cycle #3) by Maggie Stiefvater — 5/5 stars
- The Raven King (The Raven Cycle #4) by Maggie Stiefvater — 5/5 stars
- Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
- Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson — 3.5/5 stars
- A Court of Thorns and Roses (ACO #1) by Sarah J. Maas
- A Court of Mist and Fury (ACO #2) by Sarah J. Maas
- The King of Attolia (Queen’s Thief #3) by Megan Whalen Turner
- The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh
ACOMAF was definitely my favorite book of the month (of 2016 really)! I will have a very fangirlly review coming soon, once I can get my emotions in order.
The only books that I read for the first time this month were TRK, SCS, and ACOMAF. The rest I reread either to continue series or because I needed to heal emotionally after a heart-wrenching book. Not all of the rereads will get formal reviews, but I have some discussion posts planned that tie into them.
I also caught up on some reviews for books that I read in May…and then fell behind again (as you can see).
- The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle #1) by Maggie Stiefvater — 5/5 stars
- The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle #2) by Maggie Stiefvater — 5/5 stars
- Their Fractured Light (Starbound #3) by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner — 5/5 stars
Though I didn’t post any poetry on this blog, I was actually working on it. I took another Flashwrite poetry workshop from the University of Iowa’s International Writing Program and loved it again. This one was more focused on peer workshops and it was really helpful.
I started a third draft of my WIP! I had an idea that fixed a lot of plot problems and made the story more exciting, but that forced me to rewrite most of what I’d already written. Luckily, I’ve actually gotten into a habit of writing (nearly) daily, and I’ve already written 18,000 words!
How was your June? Did you read any great books?