I’m deciding to take on a lot of reading challenges this year. I love the idea of reading challenges. I started blogging mid-spring last year, so I didn’t have a chance to take part in any. I’ve signed up for a lot, but I’ve kept my goals for each rather low, so I don’t think they will stress me out too much (I hope).
I want the challenges to widen my reading horizons and to connect me to a wider blogging community. I know I’m a bit late getting around to signing up for these, but last week I was busy with holiday/birthday/vacation craziness. I’m just easing back into productivity, both with this blog and school, so give me a break.
I’m lumping them all together into one post to save time and to avoid boring you all to death with repetitive posts.
What’s In A Name Reading Challenge
The challenge runs from January to December. During this time you choose a book to read from each of the following categories:
- A word including ‘ing’ in it
- A colour
- A familial relation
- A body of water
- A city
- An animal
Basically, I’m reading six books for this challenge.
Banned Books Challenge
The premise is to read banned or challenged books (from any source). I’m going for the Trouble Maker level (3-5 banned/challenged books). I’m probably going to take a lot of my books from this list.
A lot of banned books are “classics.” A personal goal of mine this year is to read more classic books (since I basically only read them for school, and even then, grudgingly) and this sounds like a good start. Also, I love the idea of reading banned books.
Nonfiction Reading Challenge
The challenge is simple: to read nonfiction books. I’m going for the Dilettante level (1-5 books). It’s not a ton of books, but it’s enough to keep me motivated to find interesting and informative books to read.
Fairytale Retelling Challenge
The basic idea is to read fairytale retellings. You can define fairytale retellings however you like. I’m a big Alice in Wonderland fan, so I’m counting it as a fairytale. I’m going for the Magic Mirror level (5-9 books).
Some of the books I’m thinking of reading are:
- Of Beast and Beauty by Stacey Jay
- Winterspell by Claire LeGrand
- The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer (I started this series but stopped after the first book, I might go back to it)
- Alice in Zombieland (and the rest of the series) by Gena Showalter (again, I read the first book but not the rest of the series)
- Splintered by A.G. Howard
The Re-Read Challenge
The basic idea of the challenge is to set a goal for the number of books you will reread in 2015, make a post about it, and link to the hosts’ blogs. There will be a monthly link-up post to recap what you reread the month before.
My goal is to reread 12 books.
Some books I might reread are:
- The Gemma Doyle Trilogy by Libba Bray
- The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
- Enders Game by Orson Scott Card
- Seraphina by Rachel Hartman
- The Queen’s Thief series by Megan Whalen Turner
- The Chaos Walking Trilogy by Patrick Ness
- Graceling, Fire, and Bitterblue by Kristen Cashore