Here are the reading challenges I committed myself to for 2015. Wish me luck!
I’m filling in the lists below the challenges as I read books that apply. If the name of a book is a link, it will bring you to my review of the book. Not all of the books will have reviews.
(Last update: December 30, 2015)
This page is officially closed.
What’s In A Name Reading Challenge
This challenge is hosted by The Worm Hole. You choose a book to read from each of the following categories:
- A word including ‘ing’ in it — The Burning Sky (Elemnetal Trilogy #1) by Sherry Thomas
- A color — Strands of Bronze and Gold by Jane Nickerson
- A familial relation
- A body of water — The Perilous Sea (Elemental Trilogy #2) by Sherry Thomas
- A city — Atlanta Burns by Chuck Wendig
- An animal — Black Dove White Raven by Elizabeth Wein
Final tally: 5/6 categories met
Banned Books Challenge
I’m going for the Trouble Maker level (3-5 books).
- The Oedipus Cycle by Sophocles
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
- The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
- The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
- A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams
Final tally: 6 books read (exceeded my goal)
Nonfiction Reading Challenge
I’m going for the Dilettante level (1-5 books).
- The Harlot by the Side of the Road (Forbidden Tales of the Bible) by Jonathan Kirsch
- The Discovery of the Tomb of Tutankhamen by Howard Carter an AC Mace
Final tally: 2 books read (technically met my goal, but less than I wanted to)
Fairytale Retelling Challenge
This challenge is hosted by The Daily Prophecy. You can find all the information here. The basic idea is to read fairytale retellings. You can define fairytale retellings however you like. I’m a big Alice in Wonderland fan, so I’m counting it as a fairytale.
I’m going for the Magic Mirror level (5-9 books).
- Uprooted by Naomi Novik
- The Wrath and the Dawn by Renée Ahdieh
- The Summer of Chasing Mermaids by Sarah Ockler
- The Mirk and the Midnight Hour by Jane Nickerson
- Strands of Bronze and Gold by Jane Nickerson
- A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas
Final tally: 6 books read (met my goal)
The Re-Read Challenge
This challenge is hosted by Belle of the Literati and So Obsessed With. You can see complete rules here. The basic idea of the challenge is to set a goal for the number of books you will reread in 2015.
My goal is to reread 12 books.
- Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin #1) by Robin LaFevers
- Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin #2) by Robin LaFevers
- The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket
- Graceling by Kristen Cashore
- All-American Girl by Meg Cabot
- Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson (link is to the original review)
- The Thief (Queen’s Thief #1) by Megan Whalen Turner (read my fangirl flailing about this series here)
- The Queen of Attolia (Queen’s Thief #2) by Megan Whalen Turner
- The King of Attolia (Queen’s Thief #3) by Megan Whalen Turner
- A Conspiracy of Kings (Queen’s Thief #4) by Megan Whalen Turner
- Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins (original review linked to)
- Born at Midnight (Shadow Falls #1) by C. C. Hunter (I reviewed the Shadow Falls series as a whole here)
- Awake at Dawn by (Shadow Falls #2) C. C. Hunter
- Taken at Dusk by (Shadow Falls #3) C. C. Hunter
- Whispers at Moonrise (Shadow Falls #4) by C. C. Hunter
- Chosen at Nightfall (Shadow Falls #5) by C. C. Hunter
- Fire by Kristen Cashore
- The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
- Going Underground by Susan Vaught
Final tally: 19 books read (crushed my goal!)